Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lookin' on the new side of March

Well, here it is almost the tail of February and I am lazily letting it slip away from me as if there is going to be another today. I know what it is like to look at this awkward part of the year with disdain and discontent... it is always February that tests my patience for life to grab some traction.

My beautiful old house stands empty now, since my husband stripped it of it's sparse staging cutes. We desperately raced the clock to shakily write our names on all the lines dictated by the legal Gods... giving our okay to say goodbye to a sweet life, in hopes of new adventures elsewhere. I can only picture it empty in my head, being two thousand miles away from it... but I see it clearly. Surrounded by snow, staunchly maintaining its hold on the corner of 3rd and Locust. The queen of our block, ever regal, glorious even with its empty echoes... Goodbye house. May you be a blessing and a fortress to all who live within your walls.

As if nesting, like a long-pregnant woman ready to give birth, I frantically paint and wallpaper and start huge projects in my everyday, run-of-the-mill subdivision cookie cutter house ...while my husband sweeps clean our history up north. I make brownies, and scrub corners and rearrange furniture ...anything to bring back the cozy at-home warmth in my heart. It flickers... it's true... I can be home now, when my husband finally walks through the door.

So. I am ready to start over. Here is poem number 3:


The new side of March
is looking rare and wild
and it is easy to feel lost
like a vulnerable child.

Protecting my heart
Winter clouds in my eyes
Wrapped up in myself
where cold heaviness lies.

And then I see it,
tender green and so sweet
a small shoot to behold,
hopeful and strong at my feet...

Throwing open my arms
to welcome the sun
I laugh at the clouds
and skip while I run...

This new side of March
I welcome with glee
Dancing winter away
waltzing with February!

No comments:

Post a Comment